Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snowpocalypse 2011- Chicago Edition

It's and understatement to say that Chicago gets extreme weather. We have summer's that often topped the charts and clocked in over 100 degrees, and winters that often come in 20 below, so we are used to bundling up, or being ready with a fan and a cold bottle of water in the summer. Wednesday was a little different however.

I grew up in Chicago, and did a brief 4 year stint in Iowa for college, but I am a Midwestern girl through and through. I have never seen snow like I saw snow this week. We received, in some spots 32 inches, with 10 foot high snow drifts! We got thunder-snow, sometimes 2 to 3 inches per hour, Lake Shore Drive was even shut down, leaving 200 cars abandoned.



I left work early at 4pm, right when the snow was starting to get back. My commute usually takes about 20 minutes and it took me an hour, not too bad in the grand scheme of things, and compared to other people! But that drive was the scariest drive I have ever made, at some points I had to stop because I could not even see a foot in front of me, It was a complete white out.

Wednesday Chicago woke up and it was still blizzard-ing outside. No one had plowed our parking lot, which is very unusual. I figured the snow plow-man had other more important roads to take care off. I could not even get outside the door to take Buddy out because there was a snow drift up to my waist against the door. Our neighbors had a snow drift at their door that was taller then me! Needless to say, I was not able to go to work on Wednesday!

Thursday, however, the city got back to work, even with that much snow. Some people were still snowed in, but not many. This is the view of my apartment complex from my car:

(personal photo- this is the view from my car looking at our apartment, no, that is not a hill, just snow!)

(Personal Photo- looking at the door to our apartment)
How did you feel about Snowpocalypse, Snowmaggedon, The Great White Out? Did you get any crazy weather this past week? Or ever?



No comments:

Post a Comment